Sunday, September 21, 2014

Using Kant without Realization





                   Immanual Kant once said that when it comes to moral choices we have conflicts between what our true desire is and what our conflict is. This can relate to real life situations that we observe and even experience in real life.
                    I, myself, can look back at a time when I demonstrated Kant's moral choices. I remember it was a Friday night and my friends wanted to go out and celebrate it being a long weekend and all, but I had to babysit. My feelings and desires were with my friends going out and having a fun time with each other. Going out with them was my desire. My duty as Kant would put it was babysitting because I told them weeks in advance that I'd babysit for them. So even though I didn't want to, I babysat that night while my friends were living up their youth and long weekend. Kant would choose in this situation that the categorical imperative   would be babysitting because I made that commitment long before my friends had their plans and I allowed the parents of the children I was watching to make plans (or respond to plans) that their friends had posed to them. If I cancelled then i would of had to have the parents cancel their plans and tell their friends whom they don't hang out with much that they wouldn't be able to go and that right there is a lot of disappointment. The highest gold was also in this situation because I had so much fun with the kids I babysat that I didn't need to go out with my friends to find my happiness.


Desire: go out with friend
Duty: babysitting







No comments:

Post a Comment